Thursday, February 19, 2009
Top 10 Link-Building Tips
Link building is the process of generating and improving both the quality and quantity of online traffic to your website. The aim of link building is to increase its ‘rank’ within search engines, so that your website is one of the first seen when a searcher keys in words that are pertinent to your service or product.
Studies have shown that, when presented with a list of potential sites, a searcher will scan a page from top to bottom and from left to right. Obviously being ranked higher and having your website appear closer to the top of a results page will increase the likelihood of a searcher visiting your website.
Increasing the potential for your website through link building can take a variety of forms, some of which are obvious and some of which are not. Here are ten ideas that have worked for many websites:
1) Ensure that the content of your website is of a good standard and contains information that other websites would be happy to be associated with. If a potential link is considering websites in your industry, they are more likely to favour link building with a site that is informative and well-written. The services of a copywriter might be a valuable area to research.
2) Include a regularly updated section in your website, devoted to industry news. If you can provide useful and interesting information on a regular basis, people will be drawn to your website as a source of informed content and comment.
3) Distribute press releases. Most businesses achieve something that is newsworthy at some time, be it a particular award or the gaining of an important contract. Syndicating this news through sites such as PRWeb.com and PRNewswire.com can generate a lot of traffic from within and outside your industry.
4) Start a blog. These are also a good way of passing on industry news and offer you the chance to link to, review and comment on other business articles and blogs. If you have space for users to leave their comments, perhaps in the form of a notice-board, your website will be seen to be popular with users and as good link-material.
5) Create an Ezine article. Ezine is very highly ranked and can offer your article, with its associated links, the chance to be seen by thousands of users.
6) Subscribe to free online directories. Some of the most successful link building campaigns rely heavily on free online directories as a way of exposing their website.
7) Research your competitors and find out who they are linked to. You can then approach these companies and offer to link to them.
8) Use your social contacts. If you have friends or relatives who offer a service or product that may in some way be relevant to yours, offer them a link in return for a link from them.
9) It is also worth approaching existing or previous clients and suppliers. In the case of clients, if you have done a good job for them, you can ask them to link to your website, thereby supporting the work you have done. Suppliers may also wish to associate with a company that they feel uses their products to great effect.
10) Top 10 lists are a great way to generate traffic! They don’t have to be industry related, but can simply be a point of interest that will draw people to your website and perhaps encourage them to explore further.